Wednesday, September 12, 2007

HW6: Interest Statement for Semester Long Project

Social computing technologies that I am most interested in right now are; instant messaging, social networking services, and text messaging. The reason I am interested in instant messaging and text messaging is because they are a huge part of my life and a huge part of my forms of communication; not only with my friends but with my family as well. I know many teenagers and adults that rely on their cell phones and computers more than their home phones and old fashion mail boxes. I am interested in social networking because myspace.com and facebook.com are also a main part of my life and it could almost be considered an addiction of mine. Through myspace.com and facebook.com I stay in contact with my friends who are overseas and fighting in the war over in Iraq and do not get to use a computer very often or make phone calls.

Right now the kinds of empowerment of marginalized groups that I am most interested in finding out about are; overcoming racism, rights and empowerment of poor or working-class people, and rights and empowerment of people with HIV/AIDS. The reason I chose these three groups are because they all interested me when I read the paper. I do not have any specific reason why I chose them.

The geographical areas I think I will begin my research in would be the United States and Europe, I chose these two areas because I think they have a lot in common but I think it would also be interesting to see how different life is somewhere else compared to here when you belong to a different group of people. I think it would also be interesting to see if text messaging and Myspace.com is as an addiction in Europe as it has become in the United States.

No comments: