Wednesday, October 24, 2007

HW24: A Room of My Own

In chapter 5 of A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf she writes, "For all the dinners are cooked, the plates and cups are washed; the children are set to school and gone out into the world." (93 Woolf) In this quote I think Woolf is talking about how woman used to be treated and how they had no rights. All they were allowed to do was sit in the house to cook and clean. However in chapter 6 Woolf says "... each of us and rooms of our own; if we have the habit of freedom and courage to write exactly what we think..." (118 Woolf) I think this quote describes the woman of 2007. Woman have come a long long way over the years and they know have the rights to get out of the house and work evenly on the same level as men. I myself feel that i have a room of my own. I have the right and the ability to think and express myself in anyway that I feel is appropriate. I have things that I own such as the computer i am typing on and the cell phone in my pocket. I feel though that with this oppurtunity that woman have been given to be equal with men, comes a lot of responsibility. I don't think that it is something that was just given to woman they had to earn it over the years and we as woman have to up hold all the horrible things the woman before us went through to get us where we are today. Equality should be respected and not taken for granted.

No comments: